View all Blog articles
Applications will be opening once again for the Alan Bates award at the Actors Centre. The competition will open its’ doors on the 26th of January. The award was created after Sir Alan Bates passed away in 2004 to “commemorate his inspirational work on behalf of the Actors Centre” and is awarded annually to an actor of exceptional talent but also embodies the spirit of the organisation.
A group of young talented actors are put through their paces at the centre in a three stage interview and audition process where they also get guidance and tips from great names in the business, previous name included Richard E Grant, Josie Lawrence and Richard Wilson. The winner is selected by a panel of three judges and the prize bundle is one to rival the Gadget Show!
The Award prize bundle is worth over £3000** and includes:
- Membership of the Actors Centre for one year
- £1000 worth of Actors Centre credit
- Spotlight subscription for one year
- Equity subscription for one year
- A guaranteed role in the first Read Not Dead “performance with script” as part of the Shakespeare’s Globe (Globe Education) summer season
- Automatic entry to a heat stage MonologueSlam UK showcase courtesy of Triforce Promotions
- Edited Showreel courtesy of Actorshowreels.co.uk
- Voicereel courtesy of Silver Tongued Productions
- Headshot session by Simon Annand
- Reproduction services for headshots with Visualeyes
- Website consultation, design and 12 months hosting courtesy of Site Your Art
- Books from Methuen Drama, Oberon Books, Nick Hern Books and Samuel French
- Free downloads of The Real Accent App (UK and USA versions), plus a two hour accent coaching session (working alongside the App) with international Voice and Dialect coach Catherine Weate courtesy of Howard Weate
- Expert mentoring (for all 6 finalists) and networking opportunities in the first steps of an acting career
- Other prizes may be added at a later date – keep checking the website.
Every applicant will get a little postcard from RSVP in their goodie bags and we would like to wish good luck for all who are applying this year, and we would like to encourage those of you who are not aware of the Actors Centre to check it out.