By Lauren Bennett
It’s the people at RSVP that make it the fantastic place it is to this day. This month we spoke with one of the fabulous faces behind RSVP Artists, our in-house agency to find out a little more about one of the people that make the agency such a success.
Laura McKenna acts as a Theatrical Agency Assistant, and is the second in command behind our Head Agent Charlie Platt. We find out how Laura got into the industry and where it all started for her.
We all know that they are constantly hard at work for their current clients, but it’s always lovely to learn a little more about them behind-the-scenes and find out what makes them tick. RSVP Artists are always keeping busy with the continuous motivation of their clients and always sending regular emails, tweets and motivational Instagram posts but today we find out who the people are behind those posts.
We grilled Laura with some fun questions, so here’s what she had to say:
1) Tell us a little bit about yourself in your own words?
Laura: I work hard, but I’m pretty chilled overall. I’m always up for a laugh!
2) What did you want to be when you grew up?
Laura: Loads of things! Obviously I of course dreamed of being a performer but I also wanted to work in fashion because I’ve always had a serious shopping addiction…and still do!
3) When did you decide you wanted to be involved in the performing arts industry?
Laura: When I was very, very, young. I’ve always been involved in the arts as my mum was a dancer and runs her own stage school so I’ve always been involved, pretty much since I could walk!
4) What kind work have you done in the past?
Laura: All sorts of weird and wonderful things! One of the coolest was performing in the London 2012 Olympic Opening ceremony and getting to watch the Queen jump from the helicopter before the rest of the world did!!
5) How did you come about working for RSVP Artists and running the agency?
Laura: I started working at RSVP when I was still performing and auditioning, but I had wanted to work as part of an agency for a long time. Luckily enough, the RSVP Artists job role became available, Charlie and I hit it off right away and the rest is history!
6) We have recently seen a notice board on all the floors at RSVP with a section for RSVP Artists as you can see from below, how will you be involved and what are your thoughts?
Laura: Yes! We have been working very hard on trying to make the exciting work we are doing here on the agency available for everyone to see. Charlie and I have been trying to make it very visual so we are constantly looking for new shows/plays/quotes/ tips to help everyone out as much as possible.
7) What is the most rewarding thing about working for RSVP Artists?
Laura: Getting our actors that work so hard for it, in for those castings and roles that they so badly deserve to be seen for!
8) What is your favourite show of all time?
Laura: Horrible question to ask… SO many to choose from but ‘Wicked’ is definitely right up there and ‘Seusical’ (Am I allowed 2?!)
9) What have you seen recently on stage that has really inspired you and would inspire other actors?
Laura: Pinocchio at the National theatre! The puppetry, staging and effects and skills involved in the show are amazing and like no other show I’ve ever seen!
10) What is the most important piece of advice you would give to someone looking to pursue an acting career?
Laura: Always play on your quirks, don’t try and be someone you’re not. Who you are will get you in the door!
11) If you could make your life into a movie what would it be and why?
Laura: Ooh… probably something like ‘A Chorus Line’ because I’m super stagey and I would have to be played by Dawn French because she is a legend!
12) Tell us a fun fact about you!
Laura: I am obsessed with mermaids!
We’d like to say big thank you to Laura for taking the time to talk with us and answering our questions. We especially love your answer to the person who would play you in a movie; Dawn French is very much a legend! Nice to know about your love for mermaids too!
Above is a photo of the lovely Laura McKenna, smiling for the camera.
Next month we will be speaking the head honcho herself, Charlie Platt, our Head Agent and the person that forged RSVP Artists into the innovative agency it has become. We look forward to seeing how she answers all the questions we have for her, stay tuned!